WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM YOUR OUTDOOR SPACE?
Asking yourself this question will help us create a thoughtful, enjoyable extension of your home. Maybe you’d like a lush space that provides an opportunity to grow and care for plants yourself. Perhaps gardening isn’t your interest, and you’d like a space for relaxing that is beautiful and enjoyable with minimal effort on your part. Would you like an environment for entertaining family and friends that involves al fresco cooking and dining? Would you like to grow vegetables? Do you have young children that need a safe area to play in and explore. Do you have pets whose needs must be considered? Before we begin your project, I‘ll ask a series of relevant questions and in this way we will begin to define a space that fulfills your requirements.
Having a design on paper helps you to avoid needless expense by allowing us to anticipate and solve potential problems before construction begins. Whether you intend to employ a contractor or do the work yourself, having a comprehensive plan allows you to obtain competitive bids or plan the work in stages as your budget allows.
I’ll submit a design cost estimate for phases 1 & 2, along with a contract. Once you’ve confirmed the commission in writing, I’ll schedule a date to begin work on the drawings for your garden. There is an initial retaining fee of 20% of the total estimate to begin.
There are 4 phases in the design process:
- PHASE 1: involves a site analysis and the creation of a base plan.
- PHASE 2: conceptual drawings of the hardscape, along with planting themes, are reviewed and approved.
- PHASE 3: involves creating an overall plan for the project and a separate detailed planting plan.
- PHASE 4: involves consultation during the project’s installation.
WHAT ABOUT CHANGES?
I usually don’t charge for minor changes. If there are radical changes due to a change of mind on your part or unforeseen circumstances, there is an hourly charge for the additional design time.
WHO BUILDS IT?
I work with reputable and talented landscape and construction professionals who are licensed in their fields. I am able to help you through the process of obtaining competitive bids and choosing those who will best implement the design. During the construction phase I’ll consult with you and your contractor(s) to resolve any design and/or materials questions that arise. I will also place the plants in the landscape prior to planting.
CONSULTATION SERVICES ONLY
For those clients who don’t require drawings, or detailed planting plans, I offer consultation services on an hourly basis. For example I can
- advise on how to improve or refine your own ideas and perhaps help you to see and explore alternative solutions;
- suggest particular plants, or other elements such as pottery/furniture;
- purchase plants (often at a discount to you) and arrange them in your garden prior to planting.
OR CALL: 831 423 7849